Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thursday Challenge V

It's Shakespop!

Match the artist with the lyrics. Two points for each correct answer.

Bonus Points
  • 1 point for each title you know.
  • 1 point for each song you own.
  • 10 points if you own none.
  • I own four, for 1 point each, name them.
  • For 1-8 points, incorrectly guess the theme. Be creative. Points awarded at the sole discretion of the judge -- me


  1. What if I were Romeo in black jeans
    What if I was Heathcliff, it's no myth
    Maybe she's just looking for
    Someone to dance with

  2. Romeo is dead, Juliet is dyin'
    Love and death has got this whole town cryin'

  3. Juliet says "hey, it's Romeo, you nearly gave me a heart attack!"
    He's underneath the window she's singing "hey la, my boyfriend's back.
    You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that...
    Anyway what you gonna do about it?"

  4. Romeo was restless, he was ready to kill
    He jumped out the window 'cause he couldn't sit still
    Juliet was waiting with a safety net
    He said, "Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet"

  5. Romeo, oh Romeo
    Wherefore art thou Romeo?
    He's in a car or at a bar
    Or churning his blood
    with an impure drug

  6. I was never satisfied with casual encounters
    I cant hide my need for two hearts that bleed with burning love
    Thats the way its got to be
    Romeo and juliet, they never felt this way I bet
    So dont underestimate my point of view

  7. Romeo and juliet, samson and delilah
    Baby you can bet their love they didnt deny
    Your words say split but your words they lie
    `cause when we kiss, fire

  8. Maybe he's no Romeo
    But he's my lovin' one man show
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa
    Let's hear it for the boy

  9. Valentine is done
    Here but now they're gone
    Romeo and Juliet
    Are together in eternity...Romeo and Juliet
    40,000 men and women everyday...Like Romeo and Juliet

  10. Juliet, where's your romeo
    where oh where is your romeo
    tell me juliet where's your romeo
    tell us tell us dear for we all want to know


  • Blue Oyster Cult
  • Elvis Costello
  • Dire Straits
  • Melissa Etheridge
  • Madonna
  • Michael Penn
  • Lou Reed
  • Bruuuuuce Springsteen
  • Denise Williams
  • Peter Wolf


Rules, always with the rules
Points only for those you know without googling. Obviously I can't stand over you with a Nun ruler, so I'll borrow from the guidelines Ken Jennings uses for his Tuesday Trivia:
As with all good trivia, it would take you about 30 seconds to Google the answers. So you're on the honor system here: no peeking, and only send in the answers you knew off the top of your head.

Unless otherwise noted, spoiler discussions are allowed in the comments. So discuss the answers as much as you want in the comments and if you're still guessing then avoid the comments until your answers are ready.

6 comments:

P_J said...

1. Michael Penn?
2. Dire Straits?
3. Lou Reed?
4. Elvis Costello?
5.
6. Madonna?
7. Bruuuuuuce
8. Denise Williams
9. Blue Oyster Cult
10.

The only one I own is #8 - the Footloose sountrack - but it's a Kevin Bacon picture disk!

Theme: Influence of Elizabethan theater on American rock music.

P_J said...

Oh, I forgot. I do have "Don't fear the Reaper" on a compilation CD, so maybe half credit for that.

justkim said...

3. Dire Straits. Romeo & Juliet. (I love this song in a most unreasonable way. It makes me cry everytime I hear it. Ah, memories of young love.)

6. Madonna. Cherish.

8. Denise Williams. Let's Hear it for the Boy.


Also, I know 1., as in I can hear that whiny voice in my head, but I don't know the name or the artist, so now I'm annoyed.

I own the three songs I listed above.

I think you own "Cherish", the Elvis Costello, the Bruce Springsteen, and the Lou Reed.

justkim said...

I forogt about the theme.

"As the giddiness turns to dispair, always remember that love sucks."



And I want to contribute this lyric to your overall list:

So what if we're not
the kind of couple that you read about.
Old Romeo, he never had to take the garbage out.
And Juliet? Well, how many years can someone speak in rhyme?
Dramas and crime
aren't as sublime as pajamas by dinner time.

Jessica Molaskey, A Good Day, "Adam and Eve"

Bill_45 said...

Answers:

1. Michael Penn, No Myth
2 Peter Wolf, Romeo is Dead
3 Dire Straits, Romeo and Juliet
4 Elvis Costello, Mystery Dance
5 Lou Reed, Legendary Hearts
6 Madonna, Cherish
7 Bruuuuuce Springsteen, Fire
8 Denise Williams, Let's Hear it For the Boy
9 Blue Oyster Cult, Don't Fear the Reaper
10 Melissa Etheridge, Juliet Where's Your Romeo

We own: Michael Penn, Peter Wolf, Madonna, Denise Williams

Bill_45 said...

Pastor_jeff: 6 + 2 + 1 + 2(promptness) = 11
justkim: 3 + 3 + 1 + 6 = 13

new leaderboard:
justkim: 58
pastor_jeff: 35
xwl: 30