Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday Challenge VI

Christmas edition! Let's zero out everyone's scores and start over.

1 point each
  1. "Oh Damn, guess what I forgot?"
  2. According to the South Park Christmas, what should you not say in front of Jesus?
  3. Why is Backdoor Santa not like old Saint Nick?
  4. Complete this lyric from a famous christmas duet:
    You're a bum You're a punk
    You're an ________________

  5. In Tom Waits' "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis" christmas is not mentioned in the lyrics. What holiday is?
  6. On the album cover of "Christmas with the Chipmunks," what date are they opening presents?
  7. According to James Brown, Santa goes where?
  8. How much cash did Santa leave Run D.M.C.?
  9. In "Elmo saves Christmas" who does Harvey Fierstein tragically portray?
    2 points each
  10. Jews singing Christmas songs: name your favorite two.
  11. In "Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas" what does Grace Jones sing?
  12. And where was her intended destination?


Rules, always with the rules
Points only for those you know without googling. Obviously I can't stand over you with a Nun ruler, so I'll borrow from the guidelines Ken Jennings uses for his Tuesday Trivia:
As with all good trivia, it would take you about 30 seconds to Google the answers. So you're on the honor system here: no peeking, and only send in the answers you knew off the top of your head.

Unless otherwise noted, spoiler discussions are allowed in the comments. So discuss the answers as much as you want in the comments and if you're still guessing then avoid the comments until your answers are ready.

10 comments:

justkim said...

Cripes! This is my reward for liking traditional Christmas music? I guess I'm getting a big ol' lump of coal.

10. Barbra Streisand, "Jingle Bells?"; Madonna, I mean Esther, "Santa Baby".

And that's all I've got. I guess I should have paid more attention whenever Icepick played "Christmas in Hollis".

Bill_45 said...

Duke Ellington's version of the Nutcracker is about as traditional as I get.

I thought Madonna was Catholic?

Bill_45 said...

Here's the beginning of the 1st draft of the quiz before I realized I had enough for an actual theme.


Consider this the "Oh shit, I forgot to buy a gift...maybe the gas station is still open" version of the challenge.

Based on your answer, points will be awarded on this scale: -3 to +3.

1. Name the best holiday special.
2. Name another great holiday special.
3. Name two holiday specials where an incompetent santa almost ruined christmas.
4. Name the worst movie shown during the holiday Christmas.

5. Congress voted on the importance of christmas. A large waste of time or a very large waste of time?

justkim said...

Well, Madonna was Catholic until she was excommunicated. These days she's all "Kabbalah this, Kabbalah that" and says her Kabbalah name is Esther. I figure that should qualify her.

justkim said...

Alternate quiz answers:

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas. No contest.

2. Rankin & Bass's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, 1985, based on the story by L. Frank Baum. Icepick says it's too dark for a kid's Christmas special.

3. Hm. I don't know about incompetent Santas. For evil Santas, I present The Tick vs. Santa and that episode of Futurama with the scary Santa-bot.

4. That one with Dennis Leary. The Ref? It certainly looks awful.

5. Very large waste of time, considering they still need to fix the tax code so we don't get stuck paying the AMT.

Bill_45 said...

1. Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special edges out Charlie Brown.

2. I have that book. It is truly weird and incredibly violent.

4. "The Ref" is a great movie. I highly recommend it. No, the worst holiday movie is the deeply depressing "It's a wonderful life."

Bill_45 said...

Project Gutenberg link for The Life and Times of Santa Claus

Bill_45 said...

I'll have to accept Madonna because question 10 is incredibly vague.

justkim said...

Thank you for the link! I haven't read it in 15 or 20 years. I keep forgetting about Project Gutenberg. I really need to remember it for older texts.

Bill_45 said...

Official answers:

1. Cranberries. This is from "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses. Only the bestest Christmas song.
2. Pigfucker
3. Because Old Saint Nick only comes once a year. From "Backdoor Santa."
4. "Fairytale of New York" with the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl. Shane sings "You're an old slut on junk."
5. Valentines.
6. December 21
7. Straight to the Ghetto
8. 1 million dollars
9. Easter Bunny
10. ---
11. Little Drummer Boy
12. White House